Monday, September 5, 2011

Amazing riding. Lost in the forest. Wow. amazing

I just chowed down a long ass chicken mayo subway that would have made Leslie extremely jealous. Its long, cheesy and creamy and man i . must say its amazing.

Im already in day 3 of my riding, but will be blogging about day 2's ride.

I woke up, to an amazing breakfast at Mairlys accommodation. 2 steaks of bacon, eggs, amazingly barbequed mushrooms and tomatoes.
Its fantastic. the food up here isn't the best, but its fantastic.

My bike guide arrived and man, im glad his my guide (you'll know in a short while time)

He told me that we had to change plans because obviously with the heavy rains the past few days, the Penmachno would be extremely boggy. He suggested Marin, and trusting the local, i said. HELL YEAH. LETS GO.

Both trails were on my itinerary but in the end ive decided to just do one ride to get used to the bike. Alright, cut the crap.

Talking to my guide in the car. His Bryan. Amazing guide. He talks to me about the riding around the area, the food. His just amazing to talk to. i can tlak to him about anything, everything.

Before long, we reached the trailhead. it was empty, there was a triathlon going on in the background of the area and well. I was EXCITED to say the least for the trail.

On a new bike, in a new trail with a new friend. I pedalled up the first climb, excited. Sadly, my bike gears gave me countless of problems. it would prove to be hell for the next 24 hours at least. But i told myself.

"Aloysius, you're here for the ride, not for pushing it. just enjoy the ride"

I climbed up the first singletrack climb and must i say, it is WAY technical compared to anything we have in Singapore. One thing i realised was that my bike was working amazingly under my legs. The suspension soaking up the bumps, i was feeling strong over my bike, the weather was a cool breeze at 15degrees. I was in heaven.

The first downhill started, and before long, i lost it and crashed. HAHAAHA! It was a really simple turn but the trails were really slippery and they really encourage crazy riding and that was when i got the wake up call that i was ON A NEW BIKE and on a NEW trail, and i shouldn't be tryin anything stupid.

The ride continued on and on .. and i realised one thing. The trail is amazing. There was great scenery, the single track was fantastic, ahhh...
Before long .. we hit some of the best and most fun singletrack in the world. Flowy, with AMAZING scenery right beside me, i was having the time of my life! Busting berms, pushing my bike into every down. Wow. Just wow.

We rode the dragon's back, which is this extremely technical bit of the track, really rocky, steep and it was WAY slippery here. ive NEVER felt two wheels slide under me that easily with NO resistance at all. thankfully i controlled the slide and felt confident over the bike, and rode it out without dabbing! Bryan was impressed and said that was good riding! and even complimented the way i rode. I don't think i ride that well, but man did it feel good to get that compliment ;) At least it did, since it came from an experienced and well ridden man!

Soon, we finished the ride and my guide sent me back to the accommodation..

Guys. you see. I haven't been talking much about my guide. but in this day, my guide really showed who he was to me.

He was a man, who loved mountain biking so much that he offered to bring me to a really faraway place, Nant-arian (its further, and technically it would cost more) at NO extra cost. His reasoning -> lets just go there anyway; its one hell offa singletrack.

The free trip/ better value for money was not even on my mind. What hit me hard was how friendly and non-business like these people are. This is something we don;t see much in Singapore. I was convinced on how friendly British people are.

before long, i was in my accommodation area again, having lunch and wanting to find the beautiful and well reknowned SWALLOW FALLS.

After lunch, i walked towards the waterfall on the road but suddenly, i saw a TRAIL that follows the river. i knew that the trail would definitely lead me to the waterfall and so i went. I met many tourists along the way. It was one HELL of a trail. steep uphills, extremely rooty, tight. yeah. you name it, it had it.

Before long, i ended up (Yes, alone, with jeans and a rreally nice UK T shirt that cost me) in a full fledged hike up on some singletrack. i was perspiring like CRAZY (Yes okay i know. i bet someone will be laughing here.) and i was literally getting my shoes all muddy (Yeah my only shoes for going out)

i walked and walked.. 2hours in and i suddenly realised. Im alone, in this singletrack, nobody in sight, with extremely tall trees, it was pretty dark already. The hairs on my body suddenly stood. My ears sharpened up and my sweaty fists clenched itself. I realised i was in the woods alone. with no idea where i was. I told myself that at this juncture, going back would be hell.

I saw two trails infront of me, one uphill and one downhill. At this point of time i was RIGHT BESIDE the river of CONWY and going down would only lead me closer to the swallow falls but further away from help. I took the uphill trail in search of any tarmac paths/footpaths that i could take out. and thankfully, my judgement was good and i found a tarmac path!! I got out of the trail, not sweating anymore but with all my hairs standing in horror. I had just risked my ass.

That night, i went back to the hotel and simply laid on my bed. This was a real adventure. Going to the UK alone was already an adventure enough. This, was a true epic.

I laid on my bed, and talked to all my awesome friends. and you know something, i talked to wenyi and when i told her the food portions are HUGE, she said it would be so UNCLE to da bao and made fun that maybe i'd do that.
i went for dinner after talking to her and i saw a british do exactly just that!!! but not like theres anything wrong about it anyways. it'd be a waste really.

So awesome to catch up with friends and share my crazy stories for the day...

alright. gotta go. gotta write my next blog (which i'd make it much more detailed and smoother because im rushing this blog as i CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEXTBLOG ENTRY HEHEHEHE)

No comments:

Post a Comment