Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The crazy solo adventure

Continuing on from day 2 of the riding days and day 3 of the complete wales holiday

After Bryan dropped me off. I questioned myself. should i rode Mt Elio (this ginormous mountain). It was dark up there, it was cloudy. jesus. It scares me.

I told myself. I planned this trip as a solo adventure and now, 99% of the riding is guided. Why not do something i never believed i'd do. It'd be an adventure, a true adventure.

I nodded my head, i bit my teeth really hard and told myself i'd brave the rain and wind for this adventure.

I deposited all my luggage and kit in the new accommodation and IMMEDIATELY went out on a solo ride towards Mt Elio, up the foot path.

The climb up was CRAZY. The road was so steep, accompanied by my aching thighs. It was crazy. the winds were blowing against my face, my cheeks literally NUMB from the cold.
Before long, i reached the first gate that signified the start of the climb up Mt Elio. It was offroad from here onwards, and i know after this gate, it was just The mountain , the winds and me.

The adventure starts now. I crossed the bridge and cycled pass some grassy fields, with SHEEP literally meters awy from me! It was amazing! Truth to be told.. i was quite scared cycling pass them. i mean, honestly. What could i have done if all the sheep ganged up on me. Its just me in the whole mountain, nobody in sight, nobody would even knew what the hell happened if it happened to me!

I manage to cycle past them with no problems at all. It continued on and on and my legs were burning. until i past the 2nd gate. I cycled up a steep uphill, gritting my teeth the whole way round. SUDDENLY. I Saw this Huge cow at the side of the trail. It stared at me, and i stared back and holy shit my heart skipped a beat. I cycled past it, no problems. Then i realised in my mind. I go past it now. I gotta go past it again later. i just hope it doesnt give me any problems! I cycled up and even higher and the winds just got worse and worse. The wind nearly stopped me in my tracks at one point of time. I was nearly NOT moving at all because of the wind. It was crazy. it was hailing and jesus. It was British Grit to say the least.

I finally got past the third gate and now, its the real ascend up the hill. the skies were dark, and i was alone on the mountain. I looked puny compared to the mountains. I was one boy on a crazy adventure.

I climbed all the way up and finally before i could appreciate the sights completely ( which i probably did on the way up really) i decided. It was late, nearly 7.30pm and it was gona get dark in a matter of minutes. Its time to rail the downhill and have a taste of some real mountain riding!!

I dashed down the trail, heading back home. The trail was loose, i felt both wheels sliding out under the slate rocks and man must i say, it felt amazing. the Mud flew all over my face, probably getting into my mouth at some point of time. I was freezing, my mouth could hardly open up completely without aching!! It was a crazy speed dash back down.

Then, i hit the steep downhill section where i saw a beast that made my heart skip 2 beats.
A really fat cow was in between the path ahead and me. It was the same cow that made my heart stop previously. I stopped. I literally jammed my brakes into a complete stop and just stared at the cow. It moo'd at me like it was pissed off.

I was alone on the mountains. Just my bike and I. Now, i was literally fearing for my life. This cow could easily kill me and i wouldn't know what the hell just happened. I stopped in my tracks and stared at it. 10 minutes, this went on. I never moved an inch.

Suddenly, the huge beast walked up towards me and screamed into the mountainous air. I was terrified. I told myself. Don't move. My muscles tensed up just incase i had to make a crazy dash for it. My mind went blank. Before long, it walked past me and gave me a cold stare. It had no life in those eyes. It was cold. completely cold. Immediately i pedalled hard past it and talked to a jogger that was behind it, who also didn't move as she thought it'd be crazy and said i was one lucky lad!!

We shared a few laughs about what happened, and finally, i went back to the warm accommodation. My mouth couldn't smile. My hands were trembling, i was shivering like crazy and my mouth was wide open with the adrenaline i just got minutes ago up on the mountains.

I had a crazy experience.

1 comment: