Thursday, September 22, 2011

Day 5 of the mountain biking trip

Woo! Finally. Writing it up! The very reason for not writing up the last few days of the blogs, apart from being a darn lazy ass would be the fact that i was rushing in and out of the place every few seconds to make the best of my last few days.

Day 5 was one of the most memorable days of my trip (Okay, cut the crap. Everyday was memorable!). I spent the entire night in a sleeper train, which really really gave me the harry potter feel! It was amazing! one EXTREMELY LONG Scotland train. I must say, i was half freaked out to say the least.

1) I had to get my bike on it
2) I was afraid that the bike would be stolen while i was sleeping (train was from 12am to 9.54am)

The moment the train arrived, wow. I was wow'd. Right infront of me was my train to a whole new world, Scotland (you'll understand why)

I cycled straight up to the front carriage, arranged for my bike to be locked ( i must say this was half hell, the people weren't TOO clear+specific as to where to get to the train to have my bike locked). Not to mention, i was told that i had to wake up at 4.30AM in the night just to change the carriage in which my bike was kept -> Wow, couldn't they have just asked me to put my bike to another carriage in the first place? hahahaha but i was okay with it, since i know i would've been up most of the time anyways thinking about riding Fort William and being in Scotland.

I got into my room on the train, and thankfully i was alone in the room with 2 beds to myself! It was tight and narrow! but wow, it was really comfortable. I went on the bed, made a few calls to mum and immediately i collapsed on the bed. I was beyond tired. The next time i woke up, changed my bike position, went straight back to sleep.

When i woke up.. i opened the curtains. I was in Heaven. The majestic lakes were BEAUTIFUL. This was the scene that i would say would make every single human being stop and say "Beautiful". A stunning sun laid the entire landscape with this beautifully bright sunshine, with the lakes reflecting the sun rays right through my windows. Wow. I knew we were in Scotland. They said Scotland was the country of beauty. I never believed it. I was a fool.

Within 5 minutes, my door was knocked and i received my coffee from the waiter. enjoying coffee and scottish walker cookies with that scenery, wow. Damn. That's a scene.

Before long, we arrived Fort William. I got out of the train with my bike, it was a beautiful town with huge towering mountains around the village. The day was beautiful, a really beautiful sunshine was just all over the city!! I can't believe it. 4 days of dreadful british weather and i get an AMAZING day the day i arrive in scotland? wow.

I rolled my bike out, getting hundreds of stares all over from all directions. And suddenly i saw this tall british man walking towards me, he was my guide, Alastair Maclennan. He was none other than the world champion of the masters category at some point of the year. YES. WORLD CHAMPION! Meaning he was one of the BEST bikers in history at some point of time!! Jesus. I was shocked when he told me that.

He brought me to my accommodation, unloaded and got myself ready before we drove towards Aonach Mor. The famous Fort william Downhill world cup track. As we took the Gondola up the mountain, my heart dropped. I saw a track going around the mountain, down the mountain steeply with huge boulders all over the place. I asked alan, we riding that?

His reply "OOooh hahaha this is just the easy bits!!"

My heart skipped a heartbeat as i saw a biker blaze down the boulders at speeds i would think would kill if he crashed. This was hardcore! But i was feeling extremely happy, knowing that i would get to ride one of the toughest tracks in the world.

The moment we got out of the uplift, it was freezing! We first went down the Nevis Red. And i was shocked. They called this a cross country track, but the amount of steep and exposed sections on the track, wow. This scared the !#^! out of me. Alastair made it a point to stop every 500 meters to check on me. He really made me feel safe. He made me feel that i was gona be fine if the track's gnarly. Well, the track was gnarly. HAHAHAHAHA!

One thing i must say, Alastair IS a good guide. We continued railing the tracks (fine, ill admit, the first time down, i was more on railing my brakes than the track) and wow, my arms were pumped (Cramped up) and before i knew it, we were down. My heart settled. The whole time down my heart almost dropped. The board walk, the wind, the rocks, the boulders. Damn this was a BRUTAL track.

We drank more water, and we went back up the Gondola and we rode down. This time, it was HELL fun!! I could carry more speed, i was confident about railing the berms and rocks, i was starting to do drop offs with more confidence and man, i was having the time of my life. This was a mountain bike TRACK!!! it was crazy. I had one or two near misses which would have resulted in me rolling off the cliff but thank god i stopped in time.

Not to mention, the near misses which were a result of my arms being TOO CRAMPED to brake. God. Those were scary shits. I literally let all my fingers off the grips to grab the brakes. That was how brutal the track was.

Before long, we went over to the World cup track. My heart was pounding on the way up. Actually, fine. it didn't even beat once. I was that scared. This was the track that even the pro's say is a tough ass track, whatmore me??!

We rolled down the start gate, and it was full speed ahead, the wind was blowing against my dry lips and i was railing down the track having the time of my life, having the berms and little drops. The track seemed so smooth, world cup track? huh?

We went past the board walk and suddenly, BAM! Hell broke loose. There were BOULDERS every single where, rocks everywhere, my wheel was bouncing beyond bounce, the suspension was being eaten up alive and i was scared as hell, the whole silence was broken and the whole surrounding became noisy with the chain slapping the bike. It was steep as hell

I held on to my bike, hoping ill make it. Ive never experience such chaos. Before i knew it, it was over. Jesus. Thank God im alive. hahahaa! Now i know why its a world cup track, the chaos continued all the way down, with some sections i pushed down because i was completely sure that i didnt wana risk my ass on my first run down this but the rest giving me the kick of my life. It was a fun fun track, but man. its tough. even the "smooth" parts were steeeeep as hell.

I rode and i rode, and before i knew it, i was down the last run of the day. It was 330pm. The last run of the Fort william track. Man, it was fun.

Immediately after the fort bill ride, we went straight to the West Highland way. It was this epic route, 85 miles that goes straight from Glasgow to Fort bill. We were probably only going to ride 10-20km on it though. hehehehehehe. The moment we drove to the place, i knew i was going to be in for a treat. The moment i started the ride, i knew we were going straight into the wild!!

3Km in, and i stopped pedalling. The magnificent and gorgeous mountain range stood infront of me. I kept quiet. My breathing became slower. I breathed in the mountain air and man. It was one hell. of a breath.

We stopped by a river, and i drank some of the water from the river; with guidance from the wilderness expert Alastair. hahahahahahahaha. It was one awesome experience. drinking water from the flowing waterfalls! dang!

before long.. the ride ended. The day started to get dark and my guide brought me back. The drive back was quiet. I had ridden with the best scenery i had throughout my trip, and had one of the most craziest downhill experience I've ever had.

Day 5 ends, with a crazy cycle through the darkness while i was cycling back to my accommodation after dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment